Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Peeps from Peaks

Ahoy!
I'm an illustrator just getting into the blogosphere. Bear with me!



I'm excited about my upcoming Brown Bag lecture at the Portland Public Library on April 4 at noon.
Mitali Perkins, author of Rickshaw Girl (Charlesbridge Publishing) and I will talk about the book and show visuals. Should be fun. I met with Kirsten Cappy of Curious City to discuss getting visibility and she said DO A BLOG. So be it.

I illustrated this amazing chapter book story back in early 2006, immersing myself in all things Bangla. I met the author a couple of months later at the annual Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators conference in Nashua, NH. I sketched her while taking notes on her very smart lecture on writing for children.
Here she is, with the most amazing smile.



The art director at Charlesbridge, Susan Sherman, was heading to Australia shortly after I delivered the artwork. She mentioned that her partner would be surfing while she did her time at the SCBWI conference (an art director's duty is never done). Somehow a Hindu goddess wound up surfing in my next promo piece.



I haven't seen Mitali since last October when we spoke at the Graves Memorial Library in Kennebunk.
My daughter, Daisy, and her best bud, Nirmala, finally got to meet Mitali. They both modeled for my illustrations.
Nirmala was born in Nepal and adopted by an island mom, Carol. Daisy and Nirmala's friendship inspires me daily.

1 comment:

Curious City said...

You and Mitali were a brilliant pair for this book--it came out beautifully. So happy it has been released in paperback! It is a great read aloud for 6-8 and a fab read for a 8-11 independent reader