Sunday, September 14, 2008

peachy teach



I had the good fortune to spend an otherwise thunderous and goomly Tuesday with my always sunny Kittery Kousins. Wanda is one of the first locavores, always harvesting something grown in her yard. She gave me a bag of these sweet peaches to take home. Her daughters, Jessie, Mati, and I enjoyed a tangy tomato soup while catching up on life, Facebook, coots, and back-to-school. I showed up to mingle and deliver a belated wedding present, a pastel called Navarro Love.



Here Hugh and Mati wade into the waters of devotion. Their wedding was in Philo, CA last August at a rustic retreat center along the snaky edges of the Navarro. Swimming in that cold riverbed was as good as baptism.

Mati, Next Big Thing in my book, was back east for a group show at Nahcotta in Portsmouth, NH, and sister Jessie was her driver. Rain doesn't slow down these mod girls.



The enormous tiny art show features 45 artists and walls upon walls of art under 8 x 8". So much to see, so much to love. Here is Mati's wall, with some sold pieces long gone.



I also liked these little whimsys, petite gouache paintings on what looks like wood panel samples, by Susie Ghahremani.



There was such a huge range in subject matter, media, approach: it was an eye candy buffet. Here, Wanda savors a purple kiss.



Nahcotta is a casual place, with comfy places to sit, nooks for looking, graphic products like stationary, trays, lamps, and.... look at this cache of porcelain pottery by Ba Jo.



I could have bought them all! But, as usual, I did my Cinderella dash for the ferry.

Mati was off to the Squam Art Workshops to speak on a panel about living the creative life. I drove north nourished by the bounty and artful examples of these peachy women. Yay.

2 comments:

mati rose said...

that was so fun jamie! thanks for all the beautiful photos of our time together :)
xo
mati

Dani Lee Evans said...

ACK! 21 illustration one kids!! I wonder how many of them will end up majoring?