Wednesday, December 15, 2010

joy

While I wait for the go-ahead for final art on a new book project, I am elfishly sending out season's greetings. I added a couple of elements to an illustration from Nest, Nook & Cranny for this year's card.

If you haven't gotten yours yet, send me your snail mail address!

That humble book has received a string of recent accolades. I am proud to share: the Nook book made it onto the New York Public Library's 2010 list of top 100 books for children! Cool!

The season sure has it's merry madness. The MECA holiday sale was the kick-off. My students did a
wicked job of showcasing what the illustration department is all about: hustle.


I hovered nearby, signing copies of Ice Harbor Mittens for the Friends School.


I'll be doing more signings, hopefully, this weekend. Robin Hansen and I will be at the Maine Maritime Museum in Bath on Saturday from 1 - 3 PM, for the official book launch.

I'll have some of the original illustrations from the book on display, including this one of Sam, the cocky skipper of the lobster boat in the story.


My real life model, Ellis, shows the same solid attitude during Sunday's holiday concert on Peaks Island, where he kicked off the show with a metal version of Carol of the Bells. Rock on.


Dude, that put me in the spirit! 

After the event on Saturday in Robin's 'hood, I'll be down at the corner shop on my turf at Take a Peak, on Sunday from 1 - 3 PM. There will be hot chocolate, just like Aunt Agnes makes.

Another island neighbor, Anne Romanyshyn, modeled for the elder knitter character in Ice Harbor Mittens. And without prompting, she offered me hot chocolate when I visited to take photographs. Getting reference can be a very sweet task. It brings an authentic flavor to this illustration.


It's gotten darn brisk out there today. Think I'll wear my fuzzy compass mittens!

No comments: