Tuesday, August 14, 2012

art roamings

I'm blessed to be immersed in art wherever I go. We visited the Portland Museum of Art last week to see A Cat in Paris, an animated film with a lush texture and fluid story-telling. LOVED IT, especially that some of the environments were done with pastel on Canson paper, a favorite paper in my stash.

Where do artists always go in a museum? The shop, duh, to ogle books and goodies. Quelle surprise!
Found my wee book there:


From there I headed over to rendezvous with fellow RISD chum visiting from Brooklyn, Madeline Sorel. Caught her in a frenzy at Portland Fiber Gallery, fondling wool roving. Here she is with her latest creation:


Whoa, I spotted another book with my illustrations: Cast On, Bind Off!


Even though I don't knit, I'm a total sucker for anything color sorted.


Really, anything.


We parted ways promising to visit again. I took the boat back to Peaks and strolled into another fine show at the Gem Gallery. Kat Ferrin's "Sticks and Dots" was mesmerizing.


She paints on salvaged wood, driftwood, found sticks, and even sticks chewed by beavers, plentiful on Peaks Island.

As a part-time member, I have a pastel in the front gallery, seen here hanging above work by fellow members Diane Wiencke and Paul Brahms.


Diane's show in July absolutely glowed. Founding curator of the Gem, Jane Newkirk, stands in front of a Diane piece from the show, "Scrap Heap," a sublime alchemy of texture and sheen.


Prior to this show, Carol Cartier's "Gloves Off," filled the back gallery with all manner of assemblage.


For a two room cooperative gallery, the Gem packs a mighty punch.

Earlier in the summer, I took in a show at SPACE Gallery in Portland, "Rum Riot Press," curated by Amze Emmons. A zine fest, huzzah! Another surprise to find art by someone I know, Torie Leigh.
Small world we lives in.


And some classy broadsheets, printed by Carl Haase, a MECA alum and local artist who takes nothing for granted, not even the humble paper cup or remote, objects of every day use with informative histories, chronicled within.


Hey, I can find art at the grocery store, too. Check out these beer packages illustrated by my better half, Marty.


Speaking of Maine College of Art, my former student, Thomas Dowling, showed this in "Critters and Creatures" at the Richard Boyd Art Gallery on Peaks Island in July. He calls this Ulia.


Currently showing is the work of Jeanne O'Toole Hayman, an island neighbor, whose oil painting, Alizarin, I am now owning, along with one of Rick Boyd's signature vases. This gallery is a must-see when you come to Peaks.

I got into the art action with my daughter at the annual Art on the Porch at the Fifth Maine on Sunday.
The day was off to a rainy start, but sunshine and smiles prevailed.


Um, can't believe we've been doing this for like, 5 years???


I sold prints of this piece, Luminous Lowtide.


And this original pastel, titled Thirsty Cove, went to a happy patron who knew Spar Cove when she saw it, and loved the strong resemblance to her dog.


My daughter added a new print, done especially for the show, Night Ride.

Fellow island artist, Paul Brahms, set up on the lawn, with his son, Lucien, drawing away. Some parents know what a good pastime a pencil can be!


I loaned my tent to photographer, Whitney Fox, who braved the rain with aplomb. Bravo!


Yes, the island keeps us out of trouble with art-making, art seeking, and all that the tide washes in.

With so much to see and do, it's hard to get much done in the studio.

Tomorrow I am visiting the South China Public Library to discuss Nest, Nook, & Cranny.
I'll be heading over to Great Diamond Island this Saturday to give a talk at Fort McKinley at 7 PM.
And signing books at Take a Peak on Peaks Island on Sunday from 1 - 3 PM.

 Who said summer was lazy?


No comments: