Wednesday, May 16, 2012

the play's the thing


Theater is on the brain here. Marty and I had the good fortune to attend Portland Stage's annual Spring Gala benefit last week. I illustrated the brochure (above) and then created a layered collage in a shadow box, below.


This was presented to L.L. Bean at the event, in honor of their loyal sponsorship of Portland Stage.
 Here's Artistic Director, Anita Stewart, with the art:


Her dashing husband, Ron Botting, then handed it to Rosemary Moser, Community Relations Director at LL Bean.


Elements from my illustration were used in signage here and there, in curious company at the Masonic Temple in Portland, Maine.


Signed posters were auctioned off. Here I am mingling with mine, for the current show, Marie Antoinette: The Color of Flesh.

Marty's admiring his, for The God of Carnage, and Santaland Diaries.


I was also pleased to see Jacques go to a good home, the endearing dog sculpture carved by MECA grad, Thomas Dowling. Jacques made an indelible appearance in Heroes recently and was an instant hit. Portland Stage auctioned him off in style.


I'm thrilled to have my work on display in the theater lobby during the run of Marie Antoinette. The show is a spectacular production, with lavish costumes, a sizzling love triangle, and flawless set designs. I'm going again, for the final show on Sunday, with a sketchbook in hand this time.
So much to take in!

Next up will be 2 Pianos 4 Hands, back by popular demand. And it's my poster!


Tonight Marty's heading over to the Little Festival of the Unexpected, to see Love Sick by John Cariani. Marty just might do the poster for the next season's production.

Meanwhile, I'll stay home by the drawing board, working on sketches for The Sisters Rosensweig, due next fall during the 2012-2013 season.

The play's the thing!


No comments: